Forum Title: Replacing water valves properly
I have to replace some old water valves that supply water to a washing machine. I've done this before, but in the past the setup was just gripping the pipe behind the valve with a pipe wrench and twisting the valve off with a second wrench. In this case there's no pipe to grab, but there is some kind of nut behind the valve. It looks like I can anchor one wrench on that nut and use a second wrench to twist off the valve, as shown in the picture below. Is this the right approach? Thanks. -Russ
Category: Plumber Post By: ERIN LITTLE (Terre Haute, IN), 07/26/2016

Let us know how you make out with the replacement.

- RAMONA MANNING (Santa Ana, CA), 09/06/2017

Matt, thanks for the information. I didn't know it was called a compression valve. Now that I know what it's called, I searched for that term and found many YouTube videos showing how they work. Now I see how it all comes apart and goes back together. Thanks again.

- WILLIAM zJONES (Aliso Viejo, CA), 09/24/2017

It's a compression fitting. You will be able to unthread it but you will need to get the old nut and ferrule off and replace with new. New compression valves will come with new ferrules

- HUGH ESPINOZA (South Gate, CA), 10/05/2017

Emergency Plumbing & Rooter Service Companiess - Guidance, Support, Assistance, Deals

requestaquote Get Free Quotes callnow 888-880-2779